Exercise doesn’t have to be intense, barely-able-to-catch-your-breath, to efficiently burn calories. It can and should be enjoyable, something you could do everyday without dread. Here are, in no particular order, some of the very best calorie-burning exercises:
• Walking- I’m not talking about a leisurely stroll here. A brisk walk, maybe even carrying and using dumbbells at the same time. Walking increases metabolism (which is the process of burning calories), strengthens the heart, lungs, and memory, improves stamina, and is enjoyable. Adding just 650 additional steps to your daily walking burns an additional 700 calories!
• Dancing- There are tremendous cardio, respiratory, flexibility, stamina, and strength benefits from regularly dancing. Walking and dancing lower blood pressure too.
• Swimming- One hour of swimming burns at least 511 calories. You don’t have to race through the water to get the benefit. Also, water aerobics and stretches are especially good for people with arthritis, as the water’s buoyancy reduces strain and resistance. Play at the pool often!
• Bicycling- When I was a child, I never saw adults riding bicycles. It wasn’t until the 1980′s, when Americans began to recognize the health benefits of bicycling, that this trend began. It is an excellent cardio workout that also benefits all muscle groups, stamina, and strength. Plus, for many, it is emotionally satisfying.
• Bowling (or sport of your choice)- Bowling, for example, for one hour burns at least 219 calories. Ten minutes of non-stop basketball will do about the same. Tennis is a very good calorie-burner. Golf and baseball are not as effective, unless you are very active while playing.
• Running- If you are fit enough to run without causing damage to your back, knees, and feet, it can be a superb activity for burning calories, improving stamina, and strengthening the heart and lungs. In addition, it can be emotionally therapeutic, for some.
In a nutshell, the more active you are, the more calories you burn. These are some good examples of calorie-burning exercises that will be healthy and fun.